Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Les Choristes

it's exactly what i believed i was going to do when i grew up. it's what i hoped to do when i was at Discovery Academy. to my surprise, though, music didn't change the world, even the small confined world of a high-end private juvie. Nope, handicrafts did. I taught the girls to crochet, gave 'em some instruction books, some plastic hooks, and all the scrap (and non-scrap) yarn i could afford. it worked and for once they had something tangible to be proud of. it kept them busy, helped them to utilize the otherwise wasted energy, made them feel productive. it was educational for me as well. music, once again, cannot save lives. at least not en mass. one life, occassionally, but not lives. the children i saw ignored or yelled at during all of my observations in the poorest schools of Fort Work showed me that. it's why i quit. this movie, Les Choristes though makes me question, once again, if it was right that i did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home